Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Ship life: Neptune Day and the Halloween Dance

Yes, big things have been happening on the ship! We have had a few big events and we also have the Sea Olympics coming up. The first thing was Neptune Day. What is Neptune Day? It is a day of celebration when we cross the equator! We go from Pollywags to Shellbacks and are initiated by having fish guts poured on us, jumping in the pool, kissing a fish, and getting our heads shaved! Needless to say, all of this was optional, and all of it was bullshit. If theres one way to get me not to participate in something its so wake me up with obnoxious noises. Which is exactly what they did at six am sharp. The crew went around with pots and pans and banged on everyones doors. We were then summoned to deck 7 at 8:30 for the the event. I didn't get up, but my roommate said that I didn't have to get in my swimsuit, but I should at least go see it. Well. This shit was crazy. I walk outside and music is blasting, everyone and their mothers are running around in swimsuits, kissing fish, jumping in the pool, and right next to me GIRLS are getting their heads SHAVED. I hate bald people. There is nothing scarier. Why. Why would you do that? Your head is white, lumpy, and meant to have hair on it. Are you Bruce Willis? No? Then don't shave your head. I watched for three minutes and took cover back inside. If you ask me that is way too much to be going on before 12. The one cool thing though is that we passed through 0,0. That is the point where the equator and prime meridian cross. I celebrated by going back to sleep.
Just last night we also had our Halloween Dance! On October 22. Why? I don't know. We have a study day on the 31 so I don't see why we couldn't have it then like everyone else. I was feeling very skeptical about this dance. There would be music and costumes and it all sounded very seventh grade. Who goes to dances sober anymore? I'm kidding. Kind of. Usually we have beverage service, but last night there was none, so literally everyone was stone cold sober. I heard that some people had their two glasses of wine with dinner and then snorted dramamine ( I hear that works?) and went to the dance. lol. I wasnt going to go, but my friends persuaded me to at least go for a bit. When I was packing I thought ahead and brought bunny ears, so I was an adorable bunny for halloween. Aw. I pulled together an outfit for my roommate (minnie mouse) met my other friends (a minion and Sully from Monsters Inc) and we headed upstairs. The costumes that were pulled together for this dance were shocking. Some planning must have been involved through the ports or some serious creativity, probably a bit of both, but these costumes were good! My bunny was put to shame. There were three guys who did the Blue Man Group, there were Moroccans riding camels, people in animal onesies, an avatar, security guards, that red headed guy from Workaholics (a girl), belly dancers (dudes), drug dealers, mermaids. The costumes were on point.. the rest of the dance though was stunningly seventh grade and it was great and we danced the night awayyyyyyy. No slow dances though, that was the only thing missing. There also was no chocolate.. pft. A Halloween event and no chocolate? Whatever, it was fun, I revisited my youth with (hopefully) better dance moves.
We also have the sea olympics coming up, its like field day but with "seas" which are groups we are divided up into according to where we live on the ship. I signed up for limbo and spades.. both things I am not good at so we will see how that goes!
Intramural volleyball has started and our first game is today! I am excited to kick some butt. We are docked in Nairobi right now to fuel so we will be staying still. From Ghana we have had pretty consistent seven foot swells. Fun! Not…
Here are some things its funny to imagine me doing in seven foot seas and a violently rocking ship
- run on a treadmill
- do yoga
- shave my legs (ow)
- walk down a hallway
- carry a bowl of soup
- carry a cup of coffee
- carry anything that can spill
- try and go to sleep
- avoid being within 5 feet of a bald person
- take notes
- drink water
- put on make up
- that last one was a joke, make up? hahahahahhaa


Other than these exciting events, I sleep, email people, go to class, do homework, go to breakfast lunch and dinner, watch sex and the city with my friends, workout, and play volleyball. Riveting. Thats all on ship life for now. I will go back to being frightened by the masses of bald people on this ship and doing nothing. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment